Text - Kingfisher Decor

Friday, December 14, 2018
FacebookTwitterLinkedin

Is lead paint dangerous and why?

Usually built before 1960, may older homes and buildings have surfaces that have been decorated with a paint containing lead.  Lead was sometimes added to paint to speed the drying times and give the paint protective properties, even though the health risks were well known.  Lead is a soft, heavy metal that can be hazardous to health if breathed in or swallowed.   Some general advice is to always wear P.P.E. ( personal protective equipment ), including a face mask and goggles:  never burn off lead paint with an L.P.G ( liquid propane gas ) torch or gun and don't rub down the surface with dry sand paper as this will create dust that will carry into the atmosphere to be breathed in.  As a rule, on older properties, treat all paint as if it contains lead.

 

 

Please note, all photos and text are used for training and educational purposes only.  

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favour of fair use. 

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information